Saturday, October 18, 2008

Campin' It Up---Stuart Style







I get to blog while Eric is fixing cinnamon rolls, bacon, eggs, and coffee. How awesome is that?

We got to use Eric's birthday present for the first time last night! He got a huge fire pit and we built ourselves a nice little fire. We were out there for like 3 hours! After a while, we realized that it was our first fire since we have never owned a fireplace nor gone camping. It was great fun!

The kids got sticky, sticky, sticky as they got to roast marshmallows and make smores. Savannah had fun licking up all the crumbs. The boys downed two huge smores and then begged for more. After I ate my one, and remembered how sweet and rich they are, we decided to cut them off. They then went pouncing through the dark backyard, being little explorers.
After putting them to bed, we returned outside...yeah....to talk by ourselves! We reflecting on all sorts of things...but mainly the goodness of God to have transformed us so much out of our pride and selfishness...not that we have "arrived" or anything like that, but the evidence of his mercy has been great.

I am such a pyro. I just love to watch fire and the different colors of flames. I could do it for hours on end. Eric asked me what he thought God was doing in our lives...primarily in 2008. I looked into the flames and said..."There it is; that is what He is doing. He is burning away everything that doesn't point to His glory. I just wonder if he loves watching the flames as much as I do." Hebrews 12:29 says "Our God is a consuming fire." While in the flames...while being cleansed from all impurities, it sure doesn't feel good. Sometimes, it is all I could do this year to keep going, keep trusting, keep getting out of bed, keep reading the word, and keep crying out to God. Sometimes, I just wanted to writhe in the fire and be begged to turn into ashes and be blown away so that the pain would just end. It was only God's mercy and grace that allowed me to keep loving Him when my emotions wanted to do otherwise. After coming out of the fire, I have found our Jesus to be even more good. And He is merciful, even when His mercy doesn't display itself in a way that we would have chosen.

Well, build a fire, and as Eli would say, "Go Camp it Up!!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an inspiring blog! I am always 'wowed' by your walk with God,and your insight into His workings. What a blessings you are to Eric, Cade, Eli, Sam and the rest of your extended family. Yea, the fire of God is so difficult and dreaded, but your first picture allows us to see the beauty of that fire. Thank you for the reminder.
Love You!
Barb

Kim said...

What a blessing to have such a special relationship with your husband. Always nurture that and treasure it!

Kirby said...

Great post Beck! I loved it, especially since my youth group is actually "Consumed Student Ministries" based off of Hebrews 12:29. The thought that God puts us through these flames to burn away the junk in our lives and really purify us is so amazing, yet so hard to accept while we are actually in those flames.

Heather said...

I love watching fire, too. This is a great post! It is so hard to be consumed by God's fire sometimes...but we always come out more like Him and more purified. I praise Him for that!