Thursday, February 18, 2010

Gettin' the Spray Nozzle...

Do you ever want to attack your house with a garden hose? You know, the kind that has a powerful spray nozzle attached to the end of it? I am talking about the inside here, folks. Do you ever want to power wash the inside of your home? Good, I am glad I am not alone.

I feel like I am in a "can't-keep-my-house-looking-nice" rut and it is driving me crazy. I try, I promise! But, sometimes, I feel like my home is creeping in on me and that at any moment, I will be suffocated with junk.

It usually starts in the kitchen. The counters become a catch-all for mail, homework, and well, junk. I try to cook and can barely enjoy myself for fear of being attacked by the looming paper monsters that are at each corner.

It then bleeds over to the desk. Being book lovers, we tend to allow our desk to house our books. But it doesn't stop there, we also let the desk hold our bibles, various studies, magazines, camera stuff, calendars, and other paper junk that escaped from the kitchen. It never looks nice.

Next, we have the living room. I actually love my living room. It is a sunroom where the walls consist of large windows instead of plaster. On sunny days like today, it is a source of joy and warmth. But, the problem is our 70 pound dog who loves to lay on the furniture. Despite the discipline, we can't keep her off of it, especially when we are away from the house. So, the big red couch incessantly has a quilt on it (usually a nice shade of brown thanks to the muddy dog...it snowed a lot, ya'll.) Our nice black leather chair usually houses the ottoman, upside down, so that Savannah will stay off of it as well. This room is my favorite, and it usually just makes me want to cry.

I would tell you that our dining room table is almost always clear, but it is currently housing the boys' Valentine sacks of goodies.

Moving right along...we enter the boys' rooms. Cade is me made up in a 9 year old boy's body, so his room is usually straight. He even loves to have the covers in perfect order when he sleeps, but that is a different story.

Next, we have the little boys' room. It houses ALL the toys in the house, bunk beds, and a small TV and movie station. They also share a closet, which is getting trickier as their clothes get bigger in size and take up more space. Eli is the most random sleeper. One night, he will be sideways and the next, he will be at the opposite end. So, you can imagine his top bunk and what a pain it is to keep it made up. Since this room serves as the playroom as well, it is hard to keep it picked up all the time.

Next, enter the master getaway. I love my bedspread. I think I have had it for 3 or 4 years, and I still love it! I am usually happy about this room, after all, it houses my bed, and as my Mom previously said, I liked to sleep when I was 18 months old and that trend has definitely continued. This room isn't hard to keep picked up, especially when Eric makes the bed in the morning! :)

Lastly, we have the laundry room. I have the BEST laundry room in the world...as far as size goes. Aside from washer, dryer, set up ironing board, etc., it houses a makeshift pantry, huge shelves that hold the kids games and our extra books, photography props, and the dog's stuff. This room is so large that it tends to become a catch-all where, if I am not careful, in a week's time, I can't even see the floor.

Here is my dilemma, I think: I know you are supposed to have a place for everything...and to keep it in that place. My dilemma is that I don't have a place for everything because I don't have room for everything. Do I downsize our stuff in order to create space? I am a pretty "throw it away" kind of gal, so I don't really have a lot of unnecessary things, but I need to breathe here!!

If you have any suggestions for any of the rooms, or anything in general, then please share.

And, thanks for letting me vent a little! :)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't be Disencouraged!
Ask Anna! She is the queen of organizing lately. (love your tips Anna, and I stalk your blog! :)
Debbie

Little Oak Table said...

Hee hee your mom is so sweet :)!

It is funny to read this post because I feel like your house always looks so nice and clean and organized.

Paper is what sends us over the edge at our house too, ugh, it is the never ending monster.

I hope someone gives some desk tips because one look at my office and you'll see it looks like a tornado hit it :). Sigh.

What I'm really trying to say is I think you need a week at the beach without your kids. I'll go be your Nanny.

Kim said...

You're not alone, sister. I think we all feel that way at times. It's crazy how quickly things get out of control and chaos sets in. So, take comfort in knowing that I go through the same thing. There are days I feel like conquering it, but others it's just too overwhelming.

For me, what works best is starting in my kitchen first thing in the morning (that is as soon as I get both kids fed, lunches made, kids dressed, the backpack packed, and Megan delivered to school--does that still count as first thing??). I don't deep clean, just unload dishwasher, reload, pick up, put up the pile of papers, sort through miscellaneous stuff, etc. Once I get the kitchen cleaned, I focus on my room and bathroom. Not deep cleaning, just picking up, putting away the laundry that's piled up on my dresser, making my bed, etc. After that, I feel like the rest is doable. It may take me a couple days, but a room at a time is all I worry about.

Then once things are picked up, I worry about the deep cleaning. I know everyone does it differently, but this tends to break things into "doable" sizes for me, and I feel like I'm making great accomplishments.

The only problem is one week later, even though I've tried to stay on top of it, it seems like it all starts again. :))))

And, FYI, I struggle with too much stuff too. Sometimes I feel like I'm wasteful b/c I throw stuff away or move it to the giveaway bags before the girls would actually want me to. But if I didn't, this place would really go crazy. We are so blessed with what we have, but we do have A LOT!

Jena said...

Becke--Just a tip to keep your dog off your furniture--mousetraps! Set a few and put them on the furniture- --it wont hurt but will scare her. Eventually you can just place them on the furniture and not set them and it will still keep her off. I hope you aren't a PETA supporter--please don't report me!

Cassie said... said...

I think it's the time of year...everyone...at least clean people get the itch about this time every year. I'm in the same boat..throw lots away, but still don't have room for everything. Sorry, don't have the answers...except maybe a new storage building?

Amelia said...

ok, so first of all - that mouse trap comment is priceless! I have never heard of that! And second of all... well i'm not the right person to give you advice on cleaning! Sorry! But I enjoyed your post!!! love u

Kelli said...

Me? I like to embrace the monster that is my home. I like to let it creep up on me, completely overwhelm me, tackle me with force, then I fight it back in a burst of energy and, for a brief moment give in to my inner She-Ra.

After that I sit back and let the monster dust himself off and start creeping forward yet again. Ah yes - it is a cycle I have embraced with all of myself.

Of course, you COULD just run away - that's always a viable option as well.

Or you could just come visit me for a few days with Anna in tow and tame my monster instead. :)

There - my suggestions.

You're welcome.

Nic said...

LOL! I thought the other day we just needed a drain in the floor in the kitchen that way we could just wash it all down like a pig farm =) I have the same problem you do! What do you do with it all?!?

Paige said...

I'm right there with ya! The piles of paper and "stuff" are what drive me to the edge. I look forward to Queen Anna coming up with a GRAND solution for the paper piles.

Erica said...

I love this post :) Our house gets crapped up all the time, so I can't imagine throwing kids and an inside dog does to the picture.

The only thing that keeps me from going freakshow on the paper is a small black filing cabinet in my study with a file for most everything and a good sense of "it's ok to throw it away."