Tuesday, February 23, 2010

My Shiny Friend

Sunday was an interesting day, for sure! Thinking it would be "springish" outside, I donned my elbow sleeved top. Realizing that is was indeed, still freezing outside, I decided this may have not been the best decision. I felt even dumber when the downpour of 2010 hit.


While on stage getting ready to start the second service, a huge "boom" echoed through the sanctuary. I instantly saw the intense flash of light coming from the doors to the right of me. I may or may not have let a choice word fall from my mouth. Let's just say that I was glad my mic wasn't on yet! When pieces from the overhead projector start falling towards you, well, it is scary. And, I happen to have a favorite word I say when I am scared out of my wits.


Services started, and I noticed my row of friends was all the sudden gone. And, then our preacher made the announcement that my friend, Erica, had possibly been hit by the flash of lightening on her way into the church building. Her husband, Andy had rushed her to the ER.


My 24 year old friend who is in our community group and doesn't settle for any less than sharing the depths of our hearts. She has been stretching us for sure, but a God-send.


My friend who bakes for the pure love of it and then shares the goodies with those around her.


My friend who had been asking us to pray that her witness would be "shiny" around her non-believing physical therapy student friends.


Well, I had been praying that she would be shiny, but I thought this was a little much!


It was a struggle to keep singing, not knowing the exact details of what went down. I sang as my friend Anna sat on the front row with her eyes closed in prayer, tears leaking out the sides.


Some things are just surreal, and this moment was one of those.


After church, I rushed to the ER, only to be invited to a waiting party. They had run some tests and were waiting for the results. After awhile, they finally discharged her. One of the first things she said was, "I'm starving, where are we going to go eat?" Love that girl.


From what I understand, Erica was carrying the umbrella, and well, lightening has a love affair with umbrellas. After the secondary graze hit her, she instantly put her hand to her head and brought it down, expecting to see blood. I guess it felt like her head had exploded.


Lord, I just can't tell you how grateful I am for saving her from something just awful. Erica is a ray of sunshine to all she meets.


Let's just say she is shiny.

4 comments:

Heather said...

I have to say how scary Sunday morning was! But I also have to say how much I could feel God's presence all around us. The second song that said,"Remember who controls the lighting",or something like that, was like God was verbally saying "I'm here".

Anonymous said...

"Who has told every lightning bolt where it should go?" Man, that line will always remind me of that day!
Beck

Erica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erica said...

Becke! You are so sweet!!! (but it's unfortunate that the only photo you have of me was after a day of hiking, night of lumpy sofa, 4 mile run, and no shower...gross) This makes me smile because tonight when we were watching AI I was totally wanting to steal the girls away to starbucks or some other 'depths of your heart' location!

Really, we could die tomorrow (ha..or today), so I'm not going to sit around and talk about the weather when there is soooo much more to know in the beautiful people God's put in my life.

(ps I need to fill you in on the trip! Praise God :)