Thursday, February 25, 2010

My fresh garlic hissy fit.

I have wanted to try fresh garlic like my whole married existence. That is like 12 years. Almost. It takes me awhile to work up some nerve for the big things in life.

I already had a garlic press, passed down from someone who either didn't use it or didn't like it. And, so I separated all my cloves, spent 19.2 minutes peeling off the fine layers of covering on each clove, and began to press.

I got like nothing.

Hardly anything.

I went through 4 cloves, which is what my recipe called for, and I didn't even have 1/4 of a tsp. worth. When I buy already chopped and bottled up garlic, it says to use about 1/2 tsp to equal one clove of garlic.

That is when I had my fresh garlic hissy fit. I threw my garlic press into the sink and dug through the fridge to locate my beloved already chopped up and bottled garlic.

I would like to use fresh garlic. I think it will be instrumental in me getting my own cooking show on Food Network some day. :) Let me rethink that. That would require me talking in front of people, wouldn't it. OK, never mind.

But, what is the problem? Is it my press? Can I expect not to get a lot of garlic out of each clove?

Do you use fresh garlic? If so, please enlighten this girl who doesn't want to have another fresh garlic hissy fit.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pioneer Woman chops hers by hand, with a knife...into tiny little bits.
My garlic press doesn't work either.
So, sorry that is one thing I couldn't teach you cause I don't have a clue :)
ykw

Anonymous said...

I do use fresh garlic. Your garlic press will probably peel the garlic for you. Seperate the cloves and put it in press. Another way to do this is lay the garlic clove on a cutting board, and use a large knife to press down on the garlic. It will peel and mash at the same time. Receipes usually call for a certain number of cloves, so whatever comes out is what you need. I like a lot of garlic, so I try to get a garlic with larger cloves, or use more than receipe calls for. Hope this helps. I personally prefer the fresh garlic, but I do keep the minced on hand to use in a pinch.

Nic said...

I was wondering this samething! Ask Paige. She's my cookin hero!

Unknown said...

I never get much out when I use my press. I do think that fresh garlic is stronger than the other.

Little Oak Table said...

Pampered Chef Garlic Press.

Worth it's weight in gold.

No peeling cloves.

I big thing of garlic has smaller parts that pull off easily.

Put a little part in the press (skin and all), and press.

The garlic and flavorful oils come out into your dish.

Hands down- the best, robust flavor you can add to a dish.

Anonymous said...

Totally agree with Bugs and Sunshine...the Pampered Chef one is all I've ever used and it works great, no need for peeling.
I haven't ever used the stuff in the jar so I don't know how it compares.
Pam

Becky Lockett said...

Pampered Chef garlic press is the one I use too! So easy. I've never bought garlic in a jar........

Erica said...

I use fresh garlic in most of the stuff I cook (i'm sure we prob reek of it). I do love pampered chef stuff, but my garlic press is a heavy duty one from target. I think it's a Michael Graves design one, but I'm not positive. It's the heaviest one I've found (I actually just looked on target.com and didn't see it, so they may not have it anymore). Just pull a clove off of the whole bulb, skin and all and stick it in there and mash away (then you scrape the goods off the outside of the press, open it up, and pick the skin out of the middle of the press and load for round two). (oops just read Anna's pretty sure her's says the same thing)

If you want to try again with your weenie press, it's good sometimes to peel part of it, or cut the ends of the clove off to get it going.

Also, I think it would be perfect for us to have a cooking show together. And I think Michelle and Anna could come too. We could call it Girl's Night In and make fun food, have fun, and it would be hilarious.

Anonymous said...

Erica, I will do a cooking show with you because I am confident you will do the majority of the talking. I can just smile and laugh (and eat our creations, of course.)

Now, I am offended that I have a weenie garlic press. I should remedy that. We are a house of boys and we don't do weenie.

:)
Becke'

Erica said...

Woah woah woah. I was not trying to be offensive, I'm just sayin that some of them aren't strong enough to push the garlic through (I've broken two..)

I will take the talking a lot punch in stride, but for the record, I'm certain that you are indeed 110% girl.

Jennifer said...

You probably just have a bad press. The first one I got was the cheapest one from Wal-Mart and it did nothing. Then I got a good one (Zyliss) and it's great. Is the part that presses the garlic flat, or does it have little teeth that fit through the holes? You need one with little teeth. You also shouldn't have to peel the cloves. I always use fresh garlic... it's so easy with the right press, so just spend a few more bucks on a good one.