Sunday, January 16, 2011

The most awesome cake, I mean birthday party ever.

 Let's talk about the cake first, shall we?  I was sick and tired of paying Kroger or Walmart $20 for a character cake that tastes like sugared cardboard.  Really, the thought of them about makes me gag.  So, we went homemade, which is always the better choice, isn't it?!  It is easier on the wallet and the taste buds will thank you every. single. time.

Now, I am not a sheet cake kind of gal.  But, we were expecting a crowd and I knew that a 9x13 wasn't going to cut it with these kids.  So, I went to Pioneer Woman.  And prayed she wouldn't disappoint.

Oh, heavens, my first clue was the almost 4 sticks of butter that go into the dreamy thing.

Second clue was the first bite. 

You had me at hello.  Or lick.  Or cram you into my face so fast I have to remind myself to chew.

Anyhoo, you have me.  I am yours, chocolate sheet cake.  Forever.

And even though I would rather keep your delicious recipe to myself, my Momma taught me to share.

So HERE IT IS.  Beware. 

Even Eli was about to drool before he got his first taste.
 OK, now that the cake is out of my system, let's discuss the party.  One of the best parties ever.  We asked Eric's parents to secure their church's gym and we moved in.  I didn't have to clean my house or worry about entertaining kids or pay money to some overrated party place.  We played dodgeball and basketball, ate pizza and cake, and had the time of our lives.  {Thank you Herb and Barbara for helping us secure the site!}

2 comments:

Little Oak Table said...

happy birthday little fella!

Anonymous said...

You are most welcome, and I agree, that's the way to go for a party.