Monday, January 31, 2011

You Asked...

Some of you wanted me to share what I learned in the organization class so I thought I would share a few things.  I could never cover it all on here.  First, the class was presented with the "big picture" of who we are to be as women in Christ...so unless we fit these ideas within that framework, they will fail.

1.  Everything in your home should have a functional place and everything should stay in that place.  Now, if you are like me, you are saying, "yeah right...no room!"  So, step 2 is needed

2.  You have too much stuff.  Start with the room that frustrates you the most and make it a goal to tackle every room.  Go thru everything and either
a.  trash it
b.  resale it
c.  give it
d.  put in a more functional room/place
e.  keep it forever...consider designating each person their own keepsake box

{If you haven't used it in a year or two, you probably won't...so get rid of it...unless it is keepsake.}

3.  The TOYS.  Observe what gets played with over a couple of weeks and get rid of the rest.  Don't keep more than you have storage room for.  Kids are so overwhelmed with the amount that they end up not playing with anything.  Teach kids we pick up toys before going outside, before naps, before Dad gets home, and before bed. Designate baskets/holders for certain toys so they know what goes where.

4. Furniture and Redecorating.  Form should always follow function.  (You can pretty up practicality..do what works for your family.)  If you have a piece of old furniture that you don't love, throw a pretty throw over it and a pretty pillow.  Don't ever apologize for your home or furniture or the way it is decorated.  It belittles your husband and the hard work he does to provide for your family.  If you want a piece of furniture replaced, make it a long range goal.  Ask friends to come over and help rearrange furniture for a boost of instant joy!

5.  Plan your menus.  Look at the calendar and see what nights require a faster home cooked meal...you might want to use a slow cooker recipe on these days.  Go to the grocery store with a list that will feed you every day of the week...and you will know exactly what your family is eating every night...and you will save money at the store!

6.  Have a purpose for every day.  For me, it looks something like this:
Mon:  clean
Tues:  grocery shop
Wed:  ?
Th:  Bible study
Fri:  errands and coffee/bible time out of the home
everyday:  laundry

Of course, things won't always look like that...but that is a general week for me.

7.  Make lists.  I used to be the biggest list maker ever.  And then tragedy struck.  And I shut down.  Putting something on a list meant that I had to organize and I couldn't even think straight.  But, I am trying the list thing again.  Part of my personality is that once I put something on a list, I feel like a failure if I don't accomplish it that day.  It drives me nuts to go to bed with something unchecked.  So, I am trying to free myself up and allow room for things to get done.

OK, this list of 7 ideas barely scratches the surface...but I wanted to throw a few ideas at ya!

On a thankful note, the boys and I almost had a head on collision today when I was bringing them home from school.  We entered a curve and there was a white grand am in our lane only a few yards away!  It swerved after I layed on the swagger wagon horn and we were all spared!  It took me a whole minute to breathe again and then I was in such shock!  Thank you Lord for protecting us!

2 comments:

Cassie said... said...

What day am I supposed to take down the christmas trees? They are all still being "Stored" in the front entry. AHAHAH

Anonymous said...

Yes, praise God for His protection.
Bebe