Wednesday, May 28, 2008

And Summer is Here...

Yesterday was the first "real" day of summer...you know, the day where you are at home all day and as a Mom you are going to be able to tell how the other 11 weeks are going to go. Let us just say that at precisely 11:42, Eric sat down with Cade and Eli and had a little heart to heart with them. They would not be fighting, saying they were bored, leaving the house in shambles, begging for food, saying they were bored, watching tv all day, saying they were bored, playing Webkins all day, saying they were bored, or resisting the wonderful experience that books provide. They would be learning how to do dishes, clean house, and help out more. They would not come to Me as Mom and expect entertainment, but create fun times themselves. Whew, I am glad that talk came sooner rather than later. The boys have been little angels ever since...playing all kinds of things and obeying their "allotted time allowances" for tv and Webkins. Of course, when Eric threatened to take away snacks any time they uttered the word, "bored," that seemed to do the trick.

Sam and I started the joy of potty training yesterday. I owe my sister in law Kelli gratitude for the gumption to get started, but now I really don't like her for it. I hate potty training. I know it will get easier if I can just stay consistent. But right now, we have gone through a jillion pair of cute little underwear and I am pretty sure that our carpets are going to need to be cleaned in the near future. The problem is that Sam really could care less if he has pee all over himself. He simply does NOT CARE. He never tells me when he needs to go, but is great to go when I take him. I don't know if he doesn't yet feel the sensation and know how to control it or if he enjoys going through 20 pair of Elmo underwear in 20 minutes. Seems to me that I could use some extra patience right now!

My heart has been so burdened for so many tragedies lately. Cancer plaguing young people, a couple who just lost their 2 month old baby, and the Chapman's losing their 5 year old. So much heartache...I am trying to not question so many things and instead cling to the things that God says are true...Jesus is light, truth, goodness, and love. Eric and I had a deep and tearful discussion on the way to St. Louis the other day. I asked him if he thought that God was allowing all this junk (that is happening to his BRIDE) to happen in order to purify His church. Eric thought yes...He is allowing things to happen so that we will crave, seek, and love Him and only Him. So my question to you, reader, is this: What is happening in your life right now? Is it drawing you closer to the heart of the Father? I sure hope all these bad things are not in vain! But if we are knowing our Heavenly Daddy's heart better...then maybe it will all be worthwhile. Please feel free to comment. I love to hear from you!

5 comments:

blessedpath said...

Hey Becke', I just came from Kelli's blog and she is feeling the same way...I know for myself that when all is right in my world, that I don't spend as much time seeking His face. It's in those hard times that I soo yearn for Him and His words to comfort and teach me... Hope you enjoy the summer!

Anonymous said...

Becke',
Can I borrow Eric's speech? Our first day out of school is Friday and I'm sure I'll be battling the same battles!

the Percifuls said...

Having Matt gone has definitely drawn me closer to God. Knowing that something bad could happen, and that I need to trust God & His love for me, has really deepened my relationship with Him. Instead of praying that Matt will come back safely, my prayer has become that I will be able to accept whatever might happen. I just pray that God will use my family, and our lives, to glorify His name.

blessedpath said...

Hi, it's me again. Just had to share what happened this am to me. I borrowed some of Eric's speech to give my 2. and told Chase, my son whose 9, that if you come and tell me you're bored I'll give you a chore to do. To which he QUICKLY replied," I won't be sayin I'm bored anytime soon"!! Maybe Eric should write a parenting book!!

Kelli said...

So good to question these things with you. Thanks for sharing. Oh, and sorry about the potty training thing. If it makes you feel any better, Tia peed her pants all day long yesterday! Sooooo frustrating since I know she can do this.