Thursday, May 22, 2008

The PAPA Prayer

This is my most recent read. I am really starting to like this Larry Crabb fella. This book seemed to come at a very seemly time. It was sitting on my Mother-in-law's nightstand and I selfishly asked if I could read it...before her. I know that is selfish, but you have to realize it was calling my name or something. I got it done in 2 days and returned it kindly back to her nightstand.

I have had so many questions regarding prayer lately. Does it mean anything? Does it change anything? What is the point...other than conversing with my "Papa"...or is that THE point? I have been struggling with prayer since my prayers seem to be left unanswered. This book has helped me with some of my questions. It obviously is not a cure-all...nothing this side of earth will be. Crabb discounts this way of praying to be a miracle prayer to get whatever you want. But He does promise it will lead us to the Father's heart. This book has helped me see how often I come to God with petitions and requests without coming to HIM first. I basically treat him like a vending machine and it is shameful. I wouldn't answer my requests, either. Sometimes I wonder why He even puts up with me.

Here are some quotes from the book:
The Papa prayer approach is:
....a way to relate to God that lets us hear Him speak
....a way that delights Him and changes us
....a way to know God so well that the deepest desire of His heart actually becomes the deepest desire of ours, and that frees us to ask God for what we really want with confidence that He'll move heaven and earth to grant our requests, because what we want now matches what He wants.

I really like that last sentence. It is like asking God to make His desires my desires and then asking Him to give me the desires of my heart.

I won't go into what "PAPA" stands for...but I recommend the book if you're prayers seem dry and your relationship with God seems distant or stale. The whole premise of the book is that petitionary prayers are supposed to follow relational prayers...and Crabb shows readers exactly what that looks like.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i LOVE the 2 pictures of sam in the sprinkler. he looks so little and adorable. anna

the Percifuls said...

Bet you didn't know you were posting this book review just for me. I ordered the book as soon as I read this post. Thanks!