Tuesday, May 6, 2008

It feels like HOME to me!








There are two locations in this world that will always feel like "home" to me. The first is the house I grew up in, the one Dad built, on Bridgewater Lane in Fayetteville. We had 5 acres and my siblings and I utilized every square inch, down to the creek that ran to the side of our house. I lived there from age 2 to about age 14. Almost all of my childhood memories involve this place. We had a pond, trees, barn, cows, horses, and even goats at one time. We drove past it the other day and it didn't look the same. They have planted extra trees that cover up the beautiful circle drive and they have added onto the house. But, it still felt like home. I was very irritated when we got to the top of MY childhood street to find that they had taken some land and turned it into a mansion-neighborhood. You know, big enough to house John Pelfrey and Bobby Petrino. (U of A basketball and football coaches.) I wanted to tear my hair out. This was MY street, and here they come with all their money, materializing it and taking away the country feel.

The other place that will always be "home" is my Great-Grandparents' place in Goshen...close to Fayetteville. My grandparents aren't still living, but I still consider it their place. I have no idea how many acres are out there, but it has the most amazing hills and landscape. (See all pics above.) My great grandfather was born on this land and died on it (while working in his garden at the age of 92 years!) Some of the houses are "original" but they have been restored. My Dad is running his cattle out there and it was a joy to see all of the newborn calves. Oh, just the smell of them makes me happy inside. Amelia and I rode in the back of a Ranger while Dad and Mom sat in the front. After a bit, I noticed the sign in the back of the Ranger that said, "No passengers allowed in bucket, serious injury or death could occur." Like we enjoy following rules in the country. We went all over that country, up and down ravines. My boys would have loved it! Yes, that place is home to me. In fact, if the end of the world comes and I need well water and a place to garden, I know where I am headed!

I guess every house I have lived in speaks of "home." The two houses that I have brought my babies home to will always be dear to me. I guess it is the memories that make a place so special.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now that I have figured out how to comment on the blog, here goes again!

This is my kind of place! I grew up on 4 & 1/2 acres of land. We only had cows, pigs, a dog, and occassionately a horse that belonged to my cousins. We lived acrossed from a dairy farm where we bought our "RAW" milk, so I had the pleasure of seeing several cattle grazing on the hillsides. My favorite time to watch them was in the summer when we had a full moon. They were so peaceful. To this day I love to visit the country. Your grandparent's property is so inviting. Maybe I can visit there with you one day.

Barb