Saturday, August 16, 2008

Book Review

I just finished book one of C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy. I can't decide if I feel smarter or more stupid! The language is incredibly harder than that of his beloved "Chronicles of Narnia." In the first book, "Out of the Silent Planet," Dr. Ransom is kidnapped and taken to another planet. Here, we find other rational created beings that are nothing like humanity, but are exactly as they were meant to be by their Creator. It is a planet where sin has not left its mark. A planet that is not "silent" since the Bent One is not ruling.

It is a deep book. A delicious book. A complicated book. (I think there are a whole lot of philosophical ideas that I didn't really grasp.) A book that makes me long for a world where fear, worry, murder, stealing, greed, and lust do not exist. Lewis, once again, paints an incredibly believable "place" and makes all readers want to jump on the closest spaceship to have a little look for themselves.

1 comment:

Little Oak Table said...

well, good job on the premature season swap.

and good job on reading some c.s.lewis.