Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Happy Birthday, Kiley



"This is the Day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24
Thank you, sweet Creator for blessing our family with Kiley. We had 24 years and 6 months with her. Even though the pain is deep, I would most definitely rather have her for a bit than not at all.
I was 6 years old when God ushered Kiley into my parent's presence. I was waiting patiently at my Nana and Grandad's when we finally got the phone call. Her name was Kiley Elisabeth. A sister! A sister to play dolls with, to roam our 5 acres with, to share a bed with, to talk about boys with, to show cows with, to laugh with, to pray with, to do Bible studies with, and to share with. There are so many "withs" that aren't going to happen...to let our kids play with each other, to let our husbands go golfing with each other, to simply celebrate the Savior's birth with each other in 2008. Still, I am thankful for the past and longing for the biggest reunion you have ever seen!
I am trying desperately to focus my thoughts today on being grateful for her time with us instead of depressed about her early departure. I am so thankful for hope. How do people function without it? Still, I know this day is going to hit hard for our family. We would love an extra prayer or two!
P. S.---I prayed a special prayer for ya, KiKi...that God would bless you today with something AMAZING!! He is the best gift-giver ever...I can't wait to find out what He does! I know heaven is eternal and time doesn't exist, but I can't help but think that God still celebrates these things! I mean, think about how many festivals He made for the Israelites to participate in. I think our God is a God who takes delight in declaring things "good." Your birth was one of those things!

10 comments:

the Percifuls said...

Praying for you all today!

Anonymous said...

I ran across your blog today and had to let you know how Kiley has affected my life. I think it is no surprise God let me stumble upon your blog on this particular day.

I went to church with Kiley, but wasn't a close friend. A lot of horrible things happened in my life at the beginning of the year and I was thinking about suicide. A lot. No one knew how deeply I was hurting because I put on a strong face. I felt rock bottom when I saw Kiley's group on facebook made by her friends and family. It really opened my eyes that good people hurt and struggle and the after effects for those left behind. It opened my eyes to see beyond my hurt alone.

I hope this isn't really weird to say. I just thought you should know how much seeing her short life inspired me to make the best of mine!

Anonymous said...

I didn't know Kiley well but she was always a joy to be around. I can only believe she is shouting praises and rejoicing everyday to be in Heaven with the Lord. My thoughts and prayers are with you all today. debbie h.

blessedpath said...

Our prayers are with you today. Thank you for sharing your sister with us through your blog. She was an amazing woman.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you and your family on this hard day. I too have a sister and while reading your blog I just starting crying, I can't imagine her not being here everyday to talk to. You and your family are so strong! You now have one more angel watching over you and your family.

Kelli said...

Becke, You guys have been on my heart so much these past few days. I know that this is a terribly difficult day, but I so proud of you for continuing to praise the Lord through your heartache. What a ministry you have. May you all experience the peace of God that passes all understanding on this day and the others to come. Love you. See you next week...

Anonymous said...

I thought of you and Deb today so very often. I have so enjoyed your blog. My heart aches for your family. I am amazed at your presense of mind and your love of God. thank you so very much for sharing all of those things with everyone. I know that as so many others in this life that I have struggled with some hard times and have often thought of suicide over the years. Even trying to kill myself on one ocasion with an overdose. Depression is such a strong force that at times we just seem to have no control over. It just won't turn loose of our hearts and minds. I heard your mom crying at the funeral, my heart broke more at that moment than I thought possible. I can now say that when I hit that deep, dark and desperate place where the thoughts of just finding peace and not having to struggle through this life any longer creep into my mind. I just think of that sound of your mother crying and I can't bear to think of someone, anyone, feeling that way about me. I hope that this brings you some peace. It is not meant to be disrespectful in any way. I love your mother. She is one of the most amazing people that I have ever met. I just wanted to let you know that Kiley's life touched mine so deeply. My thoughts are with you and your family on today.

Anonymous said...

Hey Girl, I just wanted to say I love ya. Birthdays are such a day of celebration and this is Kiley's most extravagent birthday she's ever had. I pray God continues to bless and comfort your heart and you grieve and miss Kiley. Love, Anna

Anonymous said...

my last post had a typo-meant to say as instead of and on the last line. love ya, atrain

Anonymous said...

Becky and family, My thoughts and prayers have been with you guys all 6 months, but esp. today. I miss Kiley so much -but know she is rejoicing in heaven "dancing with angels"! I enjoy reading your blog - showing others that Jesus is the way- and that through him we can get through anything!Bev