Monday, August 11, 2008

Porta Potty 101

We got to go see my Mom, Dad, Amelia, and Kirby for a long weekend. We happened to time it during the Grape Festival and decided to take the kids. It is this festival situated in the heart of Tontitown...minutes from Springdale. It was the 110th year for the festival. If I have my history correct, Italians settled in the town years ago and brought with them their flare for growing grapes, the Catholic church, and food. Oh, the food! Some of you may have even ventured into that town just for the food..."Mary Maestri's, Venetian Inn, and "Mama Z's." The latter is our favorite and once upon a time, we even had a barn cat named after her!

So, Dad got us in the door of our fave place...he might as well own stock in the place...he is quite the regular. I was so excited about the food I could hardly contain my grin. After 2 bowls of salad...who knew the secret ingredient of the dressing was Cottonseed oil??...I was grinning from ear to ear when my homemade spaghetti and meatballs arrived. Now, this is nothing like Prego, Ragu, or Newman's special. We are talking about the real deal here, folks...straight from Mama Zulpo herself! I ordered the "small" plate, knowing that I could (and would) be eating the portions that Eli and Sam left on their plates. MMMM, all I can say is take a road trip! After eating my big, fat roll topped with honey, we were off to the festival!

The boys got the treat of riding some rides...courtesy of Mim and Sir. Mini was quite upset that there wasn't a single one of us that would ride a "big" ride with her. She worked and worked on Cade, but that boy does have brains! Sam begged and begged to ride the "swide"...a huge slide that has big ups and downs in it. Eric rode it with him and I laughed at Sam's expression the whole way down. We asked him if he wanted to go again and he said "Noooooooooooo." He didn't take a lot of time to think about it, either!

I was hoping to enjoy the night by running into some old high school buddies. (Not OLD, mind you...just not new!) I didn't quite get my wish. As we were waiting for the boys to start the first ride, my tummy started a rumble that I knew was going to spell T_R_O_U_B_L_E!!! After daintily walking as fast as possible to the nearest outhouse, I was praying I would not stumble on the huge electrical cords or actually run into someone I knew who just might be a chatterbox.

I found the row of Johnny's on the Spot and started to get scared when all of them had the "male figure" symbol on them. I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw some ladies and girls exiting them. At this point, I wouldn't have cared....no time to be politically correct in the gender arena.

Praising Jesus that my husband had told me to take my purse into the Grape Festival, I dug out my cute little baby wipes. After praising Jesus that there were quite a few in there, I began the purpose for the trip. After cleaning the lid off...and sitting there for awhile...and later going back for a second trip...I got some ideas about this whole Porta Potty thing! I think I can really boost the sales of these things if someone wants to steal my ideas! (Well, maybe not, some things just get used no matter what!)

Here are my ideas:
1. The tiny holes in the top perimeter just don't cut it. I understand that they can't be too big, but maybe more of them??
2. There really is a need for gender specific porta pottys. I mean, sitting nose to nose with the urinal just isn't fun. (And neither is standing in the spray that missed the urinal.)
3. The need for disinfecting wipes is just plain obvious. You send someone like Barbara in one of those things before she uses it and it will be spotless and germ free.
4. The need for a pump dispenser of antibacterial liquid is a must! I understand a sink is a bit tricky to put inside...but the germ erasing liquid would do nicely.
5. A cute little air freshening dispenser attached to the wall would be a wonderful addition.
6. A spray bottle of Febreeze would be nice when the air freshening dispenser isn't doing the trick.

Well, all that said, my Daddy didn't raise a "princess." I am just saying...if someone wants to turn the porta potty business around...my ideas are free!

PS--There was a MIRROR in each porta potty! What on earth? Who wants to stand in front of a mirror to primp with THAT smell invading your nostrils?

5 comments:

Kelli said...

You're funny. I recently had to take Tia to the bathroom in a porta potty. That was a disgusting experience that I will work hard to not have to repeat. Her hands were everywhere! Ew, ew, ew!

Anonymous said...

Ok....So here I am posting, because you want me to post... wahoo this is so much fun, I hope you have a blast reading it!

Ne ways, I am serverely upset, because you only gave credit to mom and dad on the whole ticket buying thing. I bought just as much as them in tickets, and spent them all on CADE. Every single ticket, on CADER. Him and only him.
So don't make me look like the bad guy, and a bug whiney baby because no one would ride with me.... I used all my tickets on your son! THE END

Anonymous said...

How was I to know this, Mini, when I was in the porta potty the whole time doing my research on how to improve them? Thanks for being a great aunt!! You buy, buy, buy for others, never getting anything in return! I love ya!
Beck

Anonymous said...

Well it's otay and I love you more!!

Three Against One said...

Oh my gosh I love it you are too funny, this is however, something that would totally happen to me. My stomach has a mind of it's own and sometimes it acts up at not such good times.
Thanks for commenting on my blog it is always fun to have more comments to read, a lot of my friends and family read my blog but don't comment so the more the merrier (sp?)...