Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Last "Dog" Days of Summer


The boys start school tomorrow! They are very excited and I must say, so is their Mamma! They have done an excellent job of entertaining themselves and not fighting much this summer. At the beginning of the summer, they were given an incentive: for every 40 books that Cade read to Eli, they would receive a surprise...sometimes big and sometimes little. They tore through the books, I am telling you! We lost track of how many, but I think it was close to 200! Not bad for an almost second grader! They received prizes like going to Playworld, Jump Zone, getting a box of Popsicles, and taking a trip to the Dollar Store. I really liked how this worked out and will definitely do it in the future. Maybe next year, even Eli can read to Cade!
At breakfast this morning, I told the boys that tomorrow was the big day. They met their teachers yesterday at Open House and can't wait to go back. Since Eli is starting Kindergarten this year, I am not struggling...it is only half day...and I will see him plenty in the afternoon. Yeah! Anyway, Cade informed me that in 3 years, once Sam is in school, I will be all alone. As an 8 year old, he didn't really notice that I didn't want to head down that emotional road, so he continued, "Will you be all right?" It hit me hard. I told him that we could always have another baby, but then he said that once that baby started school, I would be all by myself. Ugh, no arguing with this kid! He then proceeded to tell me that 3 kids were enough and that we would have no need for a girl in our house. Arg. Maybe we can just let God be Sovereign and let Him decide what is best for our family! (And besides, Cade would eat up a little girl; he is so tender
and caring.)
So, today is our last day of "summer!"

5 comments:

blessedpath said...

LOVE that idea about the books and rewards. I will definately be using that one next summer. Chase LOVES to read and LOVES to get rewards.....hope the kids have a good school year. Chase started last week!! Brooke and Sloan start after Labor Day.
Oh, your dog is adoreable, however, not lookin too into the bath:)

Kelli said...

Hahaha! Tell Cade that Aunt Kelli said you guys need to have another baby and she's praying it's a girl because Tia really needs a girl cousin. What will you and Sam do all by yourselves this year? Fun times!

Anonymous said...

Well Cade just has it all figured out, doesn't he? :)

I can't believe your dog just stands there in that wide open yard and lets you give her a bath. Good girl!

Anonymous said...

I'm always amazed how Cade thinks way beyond the moment. He may be the greatest big brother I've ever seen, and, yes, so tender hearted. Great kid!
Bebe

Kim said...

I love your reward ideas. That just might work!!!!