Friday, June 27, 2008

Decade











We did it! We made it to ten years. Today is our anniversary! I once heard that if you can make it to seven, you are as good as gold! I think we have each other's quirks down pretty good and I am ready to go for 76 years...my great grandparents were married that long!
I dug out our old love letters we wrote to one another before we got married. We didn't have a "conventional" dating relationship. Eric told me he wouldn't tell me he loved me unless he planned on marrying me. So, the summer of 1997 was a giddy one after he uttered the "L" word. He also refused to kiss me until he proposed. After I joyfully accepted his proposal in January 1998, we finally kissed...and it confirmed the answer I already gave.
I got so tickled reading some of those letters. We were sappy, happy, and ready to conquer the world. We were encouraging and we filled each card with tons of scripture. We hadn't suffered a lot of hardships in life but we knew our faith would somehow be enough if and when those times came.
During the first couple of years of marriage, things might as well have been out of a fairytale. We lived in a brand new tiny house, I cooked and had all the time in the world to clean, and we had plenty of money...even on 25K a year. As kids and more bills started coming, we had to go to the Word more and more. Jehovah Jireh would provide and provide us with knowledge in raising little ones.
Lots of people have gone to heaven in these ten years...some a little early for our liking. Eric has been a constant in my life...a shoulder to cry on and a voice of wisdom and reason when nothing makes sense.
I guess the sappiness has decreased somewhat...life gets in the way sometimes. But, love for and faith in my man has grown and grown. I respect him for how he has worked hard over the years...not just his job, but at home as he has strived to create a Godly home.
We are celebrating at Moe's tonight for some yummy burritos. We are even taking the kids. Hop on over and celebrate with us, if you want! The beach pictures above are from last year when money was not quite as tight. I have learned contentment...sometimes you get nice things, sometimes not. As long as my husband is by my side, the rest is just irrelevant anyway.
I love you, Eric, and am very excited about the years to come! Thank you for asking me to be your bride.

8 comments:

The Moore's said...

Congratulations! You guys are such a beautiful example of a Godly relationship...and always have been! Even after 10 years, that "spark" between the two of you is so obvious...okay, so it's actually more like a bonfire now...so sweet! I've enjoyed being able to watch your journey from the beginning! Love you both!

Jenny said...

Ahhhh..... that's so sweet!!!!! Happy anniversary! Loved the post!!!

the Percifuls said...

What a beautiful tribute! Happy anniversary to a wonderful couple!

blessedpath said...

You both are such a great example to us all of what a Godly couple is all about, I can tell so much about your relationship, and I've never even met you in person! I guess knowing Lee and Kelli ( I'm sure the apple doesn't fall far from the tree:)) Congrats on 10yrs!

Kelli said...

Uuuhhh...That second picture of you is hot! You look all sexy and supermodely and stuff! Happy Anniversary - hope you guys have had a wonderful day celebrating together and with the kids. What a blessing you are in our lives. We love you!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! The smiles from the wedding day don't look much different from the smiles from last year and I am sure for years to come.

The Uptons said...

Awww...what a sweet post. Congratulations on ten years...that is wonderful milestone with many more to look forward to!

Little Oak Table said...

Happy Anniversary! And WELCOME TO MOES!