Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Warfare

I am pretty sure our family is in spiritual warfare. I think every Christian family is under warfare, they just may not realize it or choose to fight the battle. It has been a hard few weeks. Eric and I think we know why we have come under extra attack...more on that later. Eli has had bladder issues...seeing 4 doctors over a week and a half's period. Sam has run fever. Now Eli is running fever. Sam is confused on the potty training thing where #2 is concerned. He won't go in his diaper because he finds it repulsive, but we can't get him to go on the potty. So he holds it in for days. We have had more than one episode of him crying out in pain...not knowing what to do. Suppositories seem to help somewhat. Cade has had a couple of days where he just bursts out in tears...for no reason. I have been under stress wanting my kids healthy and whole.

We have changed some things up in our house...none of which Satan likes very much. Eric and I have had more "couch time" together. This is simply where we sit together on the couch for around 15 minutes and talk with the TV off while the kids are encouraged to play around us and not interrupt us. It creates security in the children, as they witness that Mommy and Daddy love each other and create time for one another. It also teaches them self control, as they are not to disturb us. Satan isn't big on Mommy and Daddy carving time out for one another...after all, the marriage relationship is the primary social one that God created first.

Eric and I have also spent more time together in prayer...with the kids and together. We have also been reading the Bible more to them. Pretty sure Satan doesn't like the truth to get out...especially to the next generation.

Eric and I mailed our first check to "Joshua Fund", a ministry that blesses the Jews in the name of Jesus. This may be the real reason for the warfare, I don't know. The Bible is full of stories where Satan tried to deceive the Jews into believing Jesus isn't the Messiah. Pretty sure he doesn't appreciate our few dollars reaching out to them, either.

Our church has been going thru a sermon series on Spiritual Warfare. The pastor warned us that as we expose Satan for who he really is, we would probably be attacked. I guess he wasn't kidding.

Eric and I are trying to go thru a Godly parenting class together. Satan doesn't want us there and has tried to keep us away from it...sick kids, travel, etc. I guess he forgot we took the class 6 years ago and can recall information if necessary. Or, maybe, he realizes how powerful we could be as Godly parents if we went thru the class again.

I am trying to remind myself that we are ALIENS in this world...Satan is ruling down here. He obviously doesn't have the final victory...but that doesn't stop him from trying. When I feel anxious, confused, or helpless, I try to come against demonic spirits that might be bringing those things to me. When Satan tells me I am not a good mother, I tell him that he is perfectly right, but that Jesus inside of me IS the perfect parent, and therefore, I have what it takes. He usually shuts up after that.

Our enemy prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour. May God help our family as we resist him and stand firm in our faith. I liked the following and thought I would share:

Satan as Lion(From Forerunner Commentary)

1 Peter 5:8 (Go to this verse :: Verse pop-up)

Christ is also symbolized as a lion, but not as a lion seeking to devour. Lion for Christ is used in the sense of "controlled, majestic power," but for Satan it is the symbol for one who is ruthless, stealthy, powerfully aggressive, bent on defending its turf, and destruction, often working from ambush. There are many similarities with the attributes of the "serpent."

A pride of lions will stalk and attack animals that are larger than they are—including wildebeest and water buffalo weighing thousands of pounds. It is a beautiful, deadly sight to watch lions working together as a team to bring a water buffalo down.

When lions attack, they do so through multiple attacks from every side. Eventually, one lion gets a grip on the throat of the water buffalo and kills it by strangulation. It is a slow and painful death. The water buffalo goes down, and the lions begin eating it before it is dead.

Satan is a lion, roaring, looking for and stalking whom he may devour. Male lions will even eat the young of their own pride to establish their dominance. It does not matter that they are related. If they are hungry, and a little kitten is around . . . one bite and it is gone.

John W. Ritenbaugh


Make us strong, firm, and steadfast, Lord Jesus!

3 comments:

Kelli said...

Very good word. Thanks.

blessedpath said...

Amen! So true! We especially feel the warfare on Sunday mornings while we get ready for church. I often have to yell out to satan while in the shower "get behind thee satan!!" Hope the boys feel better soon! "I can do ALL things through Christ"

Jenny said...

Great post!!! Very true!!