Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Trauma and Drama

Eli has been struggling for about a week with excessive urination. He goes constantly. We took him last Friday to get tested for a bladder infection...negative. We took him back in today. Eric pretty much freaked yesterday when he realized Eli was still having this problem. I go into shut-down mode when he does that. I decided to type in the couple of symptoms that Eli had and be the doctor myself...which led me to believe that my 5 year old had diabetes. Then, I became the freakish one. I could hardly sleep...wondering how on earth you raise a kid with diabetes. Then, I realized that Eli hates to have his feet covered up because they get hot. I have heard that hot feet can mean you are diabetic. So, then I got insane.

We waited to see the nurse practitioner...whom we love....but frustrated because not a single doctor out of the three we like was in for the day. She immediately asked if diabetes ran in our family and I went further into my deep black hole. (The doctor on Friday did not even think to go in this direction of thinking.) Yes...my Dad's Dad and my Mom's Mom...and probably even more family members...but I thought that was a big enough list. I am starting to tear up...trying desperately to hold it together for Eli's sake. Eric is putting his hand on my thigh...making me even more crazy. She graciously leaves to run the test on his urine and I sat there thinking. I decided that God would give me the wisdom to keep him healthy if he indeed had diabetes. He would help me in the day to day of diets and shots. He would somehow give us peace in the process. Then I thought about birthday cakes, candy, and ice cream and wondered if Eli would ever get to enjoy them again. It is emotional to be a parent. I am sure women take issues like this and go off the deep end with them....which is why it was so imperative that Eric was there this morning!

The nurse finally came back with a negative report! Whew, I could breathe again. She decided to run a random glucose test...pricked the finger...and that came back negative (or low) as well. We still don't know why the little guy rushes to the bathroom every few minutes, but at least diabetes was ruled out.

I got a taste of what some parents go through. You always know it must be sooooo tough and draining to be parent of a child with leukemia or cystic fibrosis. I about lost all of my marbles just with the word "diabetes." My heart has really gone out to parents that have children who suffer.

The boys and I thought we would celebrate the good report by going to eat Mexican. I don't know what I was thinking. Between Eli and Sam, I was in the bathroom more than I was sitting down. Afterwards, we went to Target to spend Cade's birthday money...always fun!

6 comments:

Kelli said...

I'm so glad that it came back negative. And I hope they can figure something out soon. Good friends of our have a little boy who was diagnosed with diabetes in March and their first clue was also excessive urination. But, he also lost ten pounds in about a two week period, was famished allt he time and was extremely fatigued. I'm glad you didn't mention any of those symptoms or I would have been scared. We'll be praying that you figure this out soon!

the Percifuls said...

Wow! I'm so glad he's OK! You're a good mama, Becke'.

Jenny said...

I bet you were scared! I worked at Camp Aldersgate (camp for kids with disabilities) and ugghhhh... I hated to see those little kids with such serious illnesses.

It was fun seeing you guys today at the library:)

7TimeChampion said...

We love you all!

The Uptons said...

Glad all came back good. Just a thought, I had a friend in college who simply had a small bladder. When she was old enough (in college) she had an elective surgery to stretch it...seriously.

blessedpath said...

glad all is fine. Yes, could be a small bladder. Also, look at his diet lately...Caffeine, more water bc it's summer, Is he rushing to get done, therefore not emptying all the way...just some thoughts, oh well:)